Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Manic Monday






So yesterday my DH was home from work sick so I didn't get too much done. Plus, I'm switching from my summer to fall teaching schedule which makes everything kind of crazy. But I did manage to finish this spread I've been working on for a week or so. Just in time for the Indiana Altered Books Group this weekend.
This particular spread deals with the theme of chess and the text is told from the queen's perspective. I've always been fascinated with the fact that the queen was the most powerful piece on the board--free to move in any direction she pleased. But her freedom is only as good as she is able to protect the king. So, I thought, what if this queen was a real woman? How would she feel about her role? This was my inspiration. The stamped text on "I know I am like the rain" is from the Simon and Garfunkle song entitled "Kathy's song." The images were created using an acrylic transfer, and the printed text is from a booklet on playing chess published in the 1950's.

No comments: