Monday, March 16, 2009

Copic Part 3

For my last installment on blending copics, I'm going to talk about blending using a pallet.

Using a pallet to blend colors is a lot like using the tip-to-tip process. The only difference is instead of placing colors directly onto the tip, you place them on a pallet first. You can use any plastic non-porous surface; like a transparency or a old cd jewel case.
So why would you want to use a pallet instead of just going for the tip-to-tip? Well, if you're going to be working in a larger area, or if you want to blend more than one color together then using a pallet makes life easier.

Here is a photo of my pallet--an old cd case--I took my makers and colored onto the surface to create spots of color.

Take the lighter color that you want to blend with and use it to pick up the color and then color just like you would using the tip-to-tip method.
If you want to blend two colors together with a third, take the 2 darkest, and color on top of one another on the pallet and then pick up the color using the third.
You always want to pick up using your lightest color. And when you're done, color off the marker on a piece of scrap paper to clean the nib.
Take a look at my sample:
For the body I used YG13, to pick up the other colors, E37, G17and E49. For the horns I used the blending contrasting color technique. And for the teeth, I used the colorless blender to pick up the W7 from the pallet and blend into white. I then went over the teeth with Y00.

Hopefully, in the next couple of days, I'll post some stuff on using the copics for airbrushing! In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me, by clicking on the contact me button to the right.

No comments: